How We've Helped Media Companies
We have worked with a very diverse range of companies, ranging in scale and scope from specialist academic publishers, to national broadcasters. Our experience covers a wide range of business models, from pure advertising through to pure subscription and cover-price models, and every mixture in between. Our rounded view can encompass all aspects of the media value chain
- research to deliver content insight for producers and editors
- testing and feedback in production phases to maximize appeal and engagement
- targeting of both content and marketing through audience understanding, to enhance both scale and desirability of the audience profile
- the marketing of the media brand to maximize audience, and ultimately, the monetisation of the audience generated
- In addition, we work with advertising sales teams and media agencies to study advertising effectiveness, to develop long term benefits from insight, to help counter the commoditisation of audience and impacts as buying points consolidate.
We help clients address the challenges of ever faster social and technological change, as brands move across platforms and formats, and as their audiences (and audience attention and engagement) fragment in an ever more competitive context.
Read more of our Media research case studies
Some Examples of How We've Helped Media Companies
Evaluating the Out-of-Home market in terms of audience missions and moods
- We carried out a detailed international study to deliver truly differentiating insight into the needs of the travelling audience, as they connect with advertising throughout their journeys.
Validating a new brand positioning prior to market launch
- We contrasted different creative approaches against competitor benchmarks in different territories to assess the most appealing expression of the brand identity.
Measuring brand connection over time in a competitive context
- We assessed their audience’s brand values for two major broadcasters, to help them manage their portfolios efficiently, optimize marketing appeal, and defend against competitor encroachment.
- We also illustrated those brand values which maximize engagement – insight that helps commercial value.
Brand tracking and new product tracking
- Our research has been used by a national broadcaster to help decide on when their brands are ready for inclusion into industry currencies, and to track their own marketing and awareness as the parent brand is relaunched.
Developing market segmentations as part of a customer acquisition drive
- As media companies increasingly exploit their own audience access panels, we add value through simple bespoke panel tools, panel handling, and more advanced segmentation and insight.
Investigating the relevance, appeal and connection of different levels of localness
- To provide evidence for regulatory and operational change, for media owners rationalizing or growing their outputs and content.
Tracking advertising campaign effectiveness (print, TV, poster, online)
- Our unique approach to advertising effectiveness allows meta-analysis across campaigns to help illustrate values inherent in the media brand, and deliver long term, forward-looking value out of these retrospective studies.
Improving electronic newsletters targeted at youth audiences
- Our innovative qualitative “e-group /ASL” method connects well with the youth audience and allowed us to deliver real insight into their barriers to engagement, and help optimize the newsletter strategy, with maximum engagement to get past both email, and mental spam filters.
Research as content
- If you have read the FT, or the Metro then you’ll know that Harris is the go-to provider for quick-dip omnibus research. In addition our research is used to provide programme content on shows like 8 out of 10 cats – so it is not just about proving and improving – research and insight can be at the heart of creating content too.
Read more of our Media, Technology and Entertainment Case Studies